Thursday, 15 August 2019 09:44

Overview of Spain’s aquaculture

2019 La Acuicultura en EspanaAquaculture in Spain 2019 is the latest edition of APROMAR’s annual report depicting the development of the aquaculture sector in Spain and Europe. The report gives companies working in the sector, along with public administrations an overview of the sector with information from the European Commission, the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAPA), the European Federation of Aquaculture Producers (FEAP) and the FAO.

In 2017 the Spanish aquaculture sector comprised 5,100 aquaculture establishments in operation. Of these, 4,793 focused on mollusks while 187 were inland aquaculture farms, 79 coastal establishments while 41 were farming in the sea. Seabass was the most cultivated fish species in 2018 with a 22,460 tonnes production. The Region of Murcia produced 7,525t (34%), followed by the Canary Islands 5,793t, (26%), the Valencian Community 4,633t (21%), and Andalusia 4,479t (20%). Other important aquaculture species include rainbow trout (18,856 tonnes), gilthead seabream (14,930 tonnes), turbot (7,450 tonnes) 99% of which was produced in Galicia. Throughout Spain 140,050 tonnes of aquaculture feed was used in 2018 with 85% used to produce marine fish and the remaining 15% used for freshwater aquaculture. Spain is the EU member state with the highest aquaculture production touching 311,000 tonnes or 23.0% of the total in 2017.

The Spanish publication is available on eurofish.dk/spain